Santarelli and Sons Oil of PA, Energy Conservation Tips!
• Install a programmable thermostat to turn your heat down automatically when you're not at home.
• Lower the thermostat on your water heater to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
• Air dry your laundry. Save money on Electricity or Gas that would have been used to run your dryer.
• Insulate your hot water heater. Be sure you don't cover the thermostat and on gas models make sure you don't cover the top, bottom or burner compartment.
• Insulate the first 6 feet of hot and COLD waterpipes connected to your hot water heater.
• In cold weather, close your window shades or blinds at night to prevent cold drafts. Open southern and western facing blinds or shades during the day to capture warming sunlight.
• Repair dripping faucets promptly. A faucet leaking hot water, is costing you money. (One drop a second can waste up to 48 gallons a week!)
• Clean your furnace filters monthly or replace if necessary. A clean unit runs more efficiently
In The Car:
• Don't drive aggressively. Speeding, rapid acceleration, and hard braking wastes fuel and can lower your fuel economy up to 33% on the highway and 5% around town.
• Every 5 MPH over 60 MPH is like paying an extra $0.30 per gallon of gas.
• Don't keep excess junk in your car. Every 100 pounds of extra "stuff" in your car could increase your gas costs up to $0.08 per gallon.
• Plan your trips! Why make 5 trips when you can plan an efficient route that will take you to all 5 stops in a logical order
• Check your tire pressure. Properly inflated tires not only save fuel they are safer to drive on.